Most days I leave work around 5:30-6:30 and call my wife to let her know I’ll be home in 10 minutes or so (nice commute, huh?).
I typically call her on Scottsdale Rd., which is busy, and it’s obviously distracting to do so. I shouldn’t be calling people while driving (nor should your drivers be).
I am finally just going to automate an email/text message to her which tells her I’m leaving the office between 4-7 so she’ll have a heads up (e.g. I can pick up a kid from baseball, get home in time to eat with everyone else, etc.).
You can do this for any landmark arrival/departure in an effort to make fewer calls and be proactive about telling someone you’re on your way/arrived/etc.
This is SUPER-EASY to do in 1 minute and may save me from getting into an accident or getting a ticket for talking on the phone while driving.
Here’s how you do this in GPS Insight:
Choose Account: Schedule: Alerts:
Add a Landmark Alert:
Then customize the particulars:
- Only my vehicle (Rob 4000)
- My wife’s email AND cell phone (note this is a true SMS, not an email to an @txt.att.net, so you don’t need to know the carrier)
- Only during weekdays between 4 PM and 10 PM
- All day during the weekends (so she knows when I’m heading home all day Saturday/Sunday)
- Only when I LEAVE (not enter) the landmark “GPS Insight Headquarters”
Then it instantly starts checking, once per minute:
Just to make sure the landmark definition includes where I would normally park, I’ll check that also:
Now when I leave, an automated text and email will go out to home, letting them know I’m on the way (e.g. save me some dinner…).
And I won’t need to be distracted on the road while heading home any longer.
Here’s the first message, within a minute of me leaving the office:
And the stop report to back it up: